Sunday, September 8, 2013

Together Forever

Tonight I was putting the girls to bed, while holding Jacob in my arms. As usual I let them pick a bedtime song. This is the song they picked

Families Can Be Together Forever (300)

1. I have a fam’ly here on earth.
They are so good to me.
I want to share my life with them through all eternity.

[Chorus]
Families can be together forever
Through Heav’nly Father’s plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can.
The Lord has shown me how I can.

2. While I am in my early years,
I’ll prepare most carefully,
So I can marry in God’s temple for eternity.

[Chorus]
Families can be together forever
Through Heav’nly Father’s plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can.
The Lord has shown me how I can.

As I sang this song, tears running down my face, I thought about the family I have been blessed with. 

I couldn't help think about my dear friend Melissa and her Mom. Mellissa's Father passed away suddenly the same week that we went into the hospital. Here she was bringing my family dinner. (A super yummy dinner.) Mellissa shares the same faith as I do. Through our faith we know that she will be reunited with her father after death. That same faith gave my hope though my trials with Jake. But I am so glad that I do not have to wait until then. I'm so blessed that God had the grace to let me keep him here on earth. 

Tonight my heart goes out. It goes out to all of those reading this blog who have lost someone close. It is an experience I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Just the possibility of loss was so difficult to bare. I pray for you tonight. May The Lord give you strength as He gave me. What peace He can bring. 

I know my family will be together forever. It is God's plan. I'm grateful it was in God's plan for Jacob to return home with us. It is a lot easier to say after the fact, but I do believe all of our trials no matter the outcome are given to make us stronger and to test our faith. The Lord has carried my family through this trial and I know he will continue to carry us through. I just hope it doesn't mean another trip to the hospital or another open heart surgery, as it might. 

Text: Ruth M. Gardner, 1927–1999. © 1980 IRI

Music: Vanja Y. Watkins, b. 1938. © 1980 IRI

   Doctrine and Covenants 138:47–48
   Alma 37:35
 (Families Can Be Together Forever, Children's Song Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment