Friday, September 6, 2013

The people you meet

One of the things that has given me so much hope while going through everything is the people I have met. 

While at Stanford we got to know some incredible families. They all knew exactly what I was going through, because they were going through it too. Jacob's condition, as serious as it was, seemed so minimal compared to so many of the other stories we heard. 

One of the Mom's I became really well acquainted with was Named Jamie. She was so sweet and always had some really good advice. We were on a similar schedule so we talked on a regular basis as we passed through the NICU halls. 

Jamie's baby, Baby "A," was born without Kidneys. When Jamie found out at 28 weeks that her baby didn't have kidneys she was told to terminate. For Jamie that was not an option. She began to look into other options and she was told if she carried her baby to term she wouldn't get more than 30 minutes with her before she passed. this condition had a 100% fatality rate. Instead of excepting the loss of her baby girl she researched and fought for her baby's life. Her Daughter is the first baby to survive this condition and is now on dialysis while she awaits a kidney transplant. 

(Jamie, Daniel, and baby A, The Today Show)

I was so amazed by Jamie's story that when my friend Karen came up to visit me I shared the story of Baby "A." This morning Karen was watching The Today Show and saw a story that sounded a lot  like the family I had told her about. She shared this link with me. 


I had no idea the girl that I had been sharing so much with was Washington State Congress Women Jamie Herrera Beutler. I guess when you are at a hospital fighting for your new baby's life it doesn't matter who you are, a stay at home mom from Central CA or a Congress Women. 

Jamie thank you for all your advice and company while Jacob was in the Hospital. Baby "A" is still in our prayers. We wish the best for your whole family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment