Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Err on the Side of Caution

You know the saying, "Take 3 steps forward and one step back." 

I am blessed to say we are not quite stepping back. This is more like a side step. We were anxiously awaiting the chest closure, and prepared for it to happen today. I am sad to say we were a little premature in our excitement. Unfortunately, he is not quite ready. His swelling looks good. His fluid look good. His numbers look good. It is his heart. 

The heart is a muscle. As with any muscle it has "muscle memory." For the past 3 weeks his heart has been pumping the blood through his lungs. Now he is bigger and older. He has undergone major stress through the surgery. And to top it off we are expecting his heart to push blood through his entire body. 

Liken it to a bicep curl. For 3 weeks do 10 curls each day with a one pound weigh. Then for the next week go for a run followed by 50 reps with a 25lb. Weight. With out a spot that would be ridiculous. 

Having his chest open is like having a spot. The fact that it was even a consideration today is amazing. All we can do is be grateful for the progress he's made and hope for further progress tomorrow. 

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27 (Book of Mormon) 

I trust that all of this is in God's hands. Right now Jacob is weak. Too weak. But with the help of The Lord he will become strong. I can see his strength growing. I can see his fight. I wish it were all good news and he could be better. Growth is in the journey, as long and hard as it is. 

There will be another Echo in the morning and we will see then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment